Thursday, August 11, 2011
I made these butterflies as a mock up for the book publisher’s presentation last year. Sadly, on its return to me, they did not use a very strong cardboard box and the push pins were squished into my lovingly crafted coils beyond recovery. They had asked me not to glue down to a surface, so they were obviously fragile. I had hoped to unveil photos of them in better shape, but c’est la vie.
They ranged from about an hour up to four hours to make. The monarch was the hardest to quill. I think it would have been easier if I could glue down the frame of the wings to prevent moving. Anyway, I hope they give you inspiration to make new designs – let me know how it goes!
Here’s a photo of the one I finally settled on showing how to make in the book (yes, a quilling tutorial pattern is coming soon).