Sunday, May 22, 2011

How To Quill Tea Cup and Vase



It’s been a few months since my last post because we’ve been in the throes of selling and buying our home. Renting in the meantime makes my creative head space chaotic, but I really wanted to address a comment left by a reader.


I received a request to explain how I made this design, and heaved an deep internal sigh. I have to fess up – it’s not as easy as it may seem. I have a  graveyard box of half twirled strips that were too long or too short. I try to resurrect these leftovers like a hopeful owner in Pet Semetery. Every time I try to re-do the same design, it’s as if the wrong side of my brain is getting tangled up and I end up not liking my second time around result. I don’t measure one-off designs, unlike the flowers I sell on Etsy, which I explain in a way that anyone could do. So I’ll do my best to explain here.



My coils tend to be very open and loose. I made the cup bottom first by pinching a corner (where the paper ends to hide the seam better), then a second corner, forming a dip in the middle.
The “tea” is a very open circle. This was my 3rd attempt to fit the teacup – just like Goldilocks. Even so, a tail stuck out, which I minimized with the handle.



The vase is also made by pinching two corners. As I glue to the surface, I would gently pinch the shoulder closer – it’s not always a docile item before I glue.



This ratio may seem off, but if I were to glue it down, I would elongate the vase during the time of gluing to give a better ratio. Vice versa, if you find your vase too long, just push the bottom up and have a wide style vase. I honestly don’t remember how I did this first card and how many attempts it took. So if it feels like you are trying and trying, and not succeeding, just realize I’m there too! Don’t give up and just enjoy the process – celebrate the pieces that do work out.

18 comments:

  1. I have a 'graveyard box' too! This design has worked out really well ... they all get used in the end LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What type of paper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous, I used quilling paper. They are sold online and in craft stores. The typical width is 1/8" and come in a variety of colors.

    If this is your first time quilling, I suggest the Twirled Paper book by Klutz which has the quilling tool, paper, glue and fantastic instructions. There's a link in my right column.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello !
    A very well done tutorial, as well as blog, congratulations.

    I just this year I discovered this art, which I instantly fell in love.
    When I saw this pattern worked for you I said I must have it.

    I congratulate you once again for the tutorial and all the wonderful things you've posted. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicolina,

      Thanks for your kind words. I'm happy to hear you've discovered this art form and that I've inspired you! Happy quilling!

      Cecelia

      Delete
  5. I looked at the instructions on how to make this - a little complicated for someone who has never done this before :-) Do you sell this design on Etsy, I'd love to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous, thanks. You're right! I wish I had taken the time to measure it out, but I was in the midst of moving when I wrote this. I don't usually measure my items when I plan to give them away. I don't have it on Etsy, yet... :D

      Delete
  6. Nice one..Appreciate the effort taken to explain the procedure.Thank u...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I Dnt know hw to quill I still LOVE THIS <3 :) Hopefully I'll learn it soon tho,Check Out my blog http://inluvwithcrafts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. its great .....but pls show how u made those 5 petals flower....its urgent as i cant guess the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's great about quilling is that it is deceptively easy. People are always awed by the designs and think it took hours and hours to make. It's also not hard to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FussBudget, yes it is much easier than people think and I hope they are inspired to give it a try. Cecelia

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks for making my day Maria! I hope you're inspired to give it a try! Cecelia

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi jbelkoski, yes I have made the snowman pattern. It's in my book, which is coming out in about 2 weeks:

      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1454707844/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1454707844&linkCode=as2&tag=crafting0d2-20

      Delete
  12. Hi! I'm asking for permission to use this design in my project, can I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Unknown, before permission can be considered, you will need to tell me who you are, what kind of project it is, and whether I will be credited for my work.

      Delete